Saturday 3 April 2010

Week 10 Activity 4 - Podcast Creation

This activity has taken alot longer than the 2-3 hours that were suggested from course materials. The ‘understanding podcasting’ guidance appeared to be dated as a consequence I was unable to upload my first podcast to the Rostra site. Initially I thought this was a bit frustrating but actually I am glad because it has made me independently research how to create and broadcast a podcast using PodBean a free professional looking podcast hosting service.

Decisions, decisions, so what should you choose to talk about in your first podcast? I had considered a number of topics but finally decided to talk a little about the week 10 activity 3 task on SWOT analysis covered in my last blog post. OK, i admit the recording might not be that inspirational but please forgive as this is my first steps into using this new technology.

Taking the purest view on podcasting you can subscribe to the RSS feed on my podcast by cutting and pasting the following link into your syndication reader (goggle reader for me). All going well this enables Google reader to display the latest podcast as and when I upload it to the PodBean site.
http://markcollins305.podbean.com/feed/

PodBean also enables you to embed html code into your own website or blog page (also facebook and myspace but I have not tried these yet) so that you can enable users to access the podcast without using a syndication service. Hopefuly if it all works well you be able to play my 5 minute podcast by selecting the play button below.







Powered by Podbean.com

I have thoroughly enjoyed conducting this activity it has diffinitly been rewarding all I need to do now is figure out how I can introduce this technology into my own work environment. Perhaps I might use this as an activity in the ECA work due in a few months time?

The final step left to explore is how do I download the podcast from iTunes onto an iPod to complete the whole process. Sadly I have not invested in an iPod just yet but I must be due to treat myself soon!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mark
    Well done mastering your first podcast. It was clear and easy to use. I actually listened to it while I read down the list in your previous posting. This helped me to concentrate. I do find that my mind wanders if I listen to a podcast with nothing to focus on (and I hate the ones with the swirly pictures)and always like the option to download a transcript as I like to make notes, highlights etc on the text.

    best wishes
    Gill Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark,
    Thanks for giving handy hints for what is yet to come for me. By the way, i spent Easter in Fareham. We went to delightful Arundel.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gill & Marie,
    Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, glad I could impart a little bit of knowledge from my hard efforts last weekend.

    The walks around Arundel castle and the river are very nice especially in the springtime when every thing starts to bud. Hope you had a nice time?

    Regards
    Mark

    ReplyDelete